CSI Fatigue

Chris K Leslie

Fred Reichheld is the grandfather of the one-question customer satisfaction survey. In 2003, he famously introduced the concept of the Net Promoter Score with a single question: “how likely are you to recommend X to a friend or colleague?”

Today even Fred Reichheld has survey fatigue. In a Bloomberg interview a few years ago, he said “The instant we have a technology to minimize surveys, I’m the first one on that bandwagon.”

do you think surveys and CSI are as important as they once were? 

Derrick Woolfson

Chris, you bring up a great point. In short, "no" surveys do not have the same impact they once did. One of the OEM's I worked with had a 35-page survey! Who has the time to fill that out? Let alone on a mobile device? That and the 1-10 scale is arguably irrelevant. An 8 to me is not the same as an 8 to someone else. So the way we "use" the CSI information often does not translate into anything meaningful. The other thing that we face on the dealer level is the way we "coach" the customer as we are chasing the CSI money. Lastly, (sorry for the novel) - what really gets me is the OEM's who have now introduced a pre-survey, survey. As if one massive survey was not enough. Do they really expect a customer to fill out both of them?

Mark Rask

Personally i like the short survey better

Featured Masters

No members found

Marketing Solutions Products

96%  Recommended Recom'd 50 Ratings
Company: Edmunds
98%  Recommended Recom'd 74 Ratings
Company: TradePending
100%  Recommended Recom'd 29 Ratings
Company: AutoLoop
93%  Recommended Recom'd 15 Ratings