Content Marketing and Blogging

Carol Forden

Do you use blogs or content marketing in your marketing mix?

If so what has your experience been to date?  How often do you update your blog and do you promote the content?

Mark  Nicholson

Quality over quantity. What you do after publishing is also important. 
But in general, you would want to update almost every month at minimum. 

Mark  Nicholson

Quality over quantity. What you do after publishing is also important. 
But in general, you would want to update almost every month at minimum. 

Derrick Woolfson

@Mark, agreed! As I am not a fan of *auto* pushed generic, OEM content. As for that, we updated the blog once weekly. And did our best to include local content.

Carol Forden

@Derrick  Agree, content needs to be customized to the dealership and its customers. Content should address customer problems and offer a solution, not sell the dealership, which is what you see way too often.

I also agree that 1-2x per week is sufficient, however, the work does not end there it's just beginning. 

You need to promote and distribute the content to maximize the return.  I would also repurpose content to cover other distribution channels (i.e. YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc) and include outreach in the distribution plan.

The other thing I  would add is content needs to be long form, meaning at minimum 800-1000+ words and in-depth.  Far to often you'll find auto dealers with 150-word posts that do not address the consumer problem and offer a sales pitch for a service or similar.

Consumers can smell a sales pitch from a mile away and will turn it off, close the site, etc.  You need to bring value and knowledge today.

Andrew James

I disagree- to the extent that dealerships need to rely on a text based content strategy. Most consumers don't want to read a 800 word blog post from a dealer. Video is going to deliver a higher ROI for dealerships, especially vehicle walkarounds and branding pieces for the store that will help to increase trust with the local community.

Featured Masters

No members found

Marketing Solutions Products

97%  Recommended Recom'd 45 Ratings
Company: TradePending
100%  Recommended Recom'd 28 Ratings
Company: AutoLoop
100%  Recommended Recom'd 13 Ratings
Company: CarGurus
92%  Recommended Recom'd 14 Ratings
Company: MAXDigital

Rate a Vendor Give feedback in three quick steps