Why Do We Keep Using Irrelevant Examples When it Comes to Training!

Derrick Woolfson

Everyone loves a heartwarming story about your dog, family trip, or other life experiences, and while the overarching (Lifetime Movie) story might offer the same perspective/point as an actual example, what impact does it have when it comes to training on the dealer level? 

Why aren't we hitting the situation head-on with actualized, relevant, experiences/points that we can relate to within our field - again, not saying anecdotes aren't fun, but are they relevant? I have found that if you can build immediate rapport with those you are training you can effectively discuss how to approach break-points. 

What are your thoughts? 

Mark Rask

This is so true

Mark Miller

I think that part of the reason is that no one wants to get to real and risk offending someone that may have been in the situation that is used.  I've found several trainers use stories that are 20+ years old, while they are from the automotive field, they are just as bad as using other stories.

You hit the nail on the head, building rapport quickly allows for open communication and then you can identify the real world road blocks.  The discussion flows better and you get much better group participation, heck sometimes the group trains itself.

Training organizations are, by and large, stuck in the 1980's.  They use hand written charts, fill in the blank books, and they previous mentioned stories.  

Suggested Discussions

Mark Rask
by Mark Rask
Last reply by Mark Rask
forum  Start a Discussion

Featured Masters

No members found

CRM - Fixed Ops Products

96%  Recommended Recom'd 60 Ratings
Company: ELEAD1ONE
93%  Recommended Recom'd 33 Ratings
85%  Recommended Recom'd 7 Ratings